Ken Ofori-Atta’s lawyer opens up on his relocation from the Caroline Detention Centre
Lawyer for former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta, Frank Davies, has denied reports that his client has been transferred from the Caroline Detention Centre in the United States.

In an interview on Monday, January 19, 2026, Mr Davies said Ofori-Atta remains at the same detention facility where he was first held, contrary to claims that he had been moved.
He criticised what he described as poor diplomatic handling by officials at Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, questioning the basis of statements attributed to Ghana’s Ambassador to the United States. He insisted there has been no change in his client’s detention status or location.
His comments follow claims by Ghana’s Ambassador to the US, Victor Emmanuel Smith, who said Ofori-Atta had been moved from the Caroline Detention Facility ahead of his court hearing scheduled for Tuesday, January 20.
Mr Davies challenged the Ambassador to provide clear details if a transfer had indeed taken place, saying vague statements only cause confusion.
He also questioned the consistency of the Ambassador’s position, noting that despite earlier assurances of consular support, the facts did not support claims of relocation. According to him, Ofori-Atta remains at the Caroline Detention Centre and is expected to stay there until his court appearance.
Ken Ofori-Atta was taken into custody in the United States in January 2026 following an extradition request by the Government of Ghana linked to issues surrounding his immigration status.
He is currently being held by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement as legal proceedings continue…CONTINUE MORE READING>>>