NPP Flagbearership: No machoism, no bodyguardism – Aspirants told

The opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) is expected to sign a peace pact with all five presidential aspirants on Thursday, January 22, as part of efforts to promote peace and reduce internal tensions ahead of the party’s presidential primaries scheduled for January 31, 2026.

Speaking on Asaase Radio on Saturday, January 17, the Member of Parliament for Effia and a member of the NPP’s presidential election committee, Isaac Yaw Boamah-Nyarko, said the pact would be signed alongside former party presidents and the National Peace Council. The agreement will require aspirants to conduct a peaceful campaign and accept the outcome of the election.

“On Thursday, we are going to sign the peace pact. All the aspirants, together with our former presidents and the peace council, will sign a peace pact that commits them to the outcome of the election. The peace pact is to make it clear that whether you win or lose, you owe it to the party to pull everybody along,” he said.

According to the Effia MP, the move is aimed at protecting the party from factional tensions and possible security challenges that could affect the credibility of the process. He added that the flagbearer contest would be conducted under strict law enforcement supervision.

The January 31 presidential primaries will be contested by five aspirants. They include former Vice President and the NPP’s 2024 flagbearer, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, former Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong, former Minister for Food and Agriculture and MP for Abetifi, Dr. Bryan Acheampong, former Education Minister and MP for Bosomtwe, Dr. Yaw Osei Adutwum, and former NPP General Secretary, Ing. Kwabena Agyei Agyepong.

Mr. Boamah-Nyarko said the Ghana Police Service would be fully in charge of security during the primaries, warning that vigilantism, intimidation, or the use of private security by aspirants would not be allowed.

“No machoism, no bodyguardism will be entertained,” he said, adding that police had been directed to deal firmly with any attempt to disrupt the process.

He also noted that the five aspirants had been briefed on the rules and were directly involved in managing the process, which he described as transparent and inclusive. He urged them to focus their campaigns on ideas and track records instead of personal attacks, cautioning that internal divisions could weaken the party’s chances against the ruling National Democratic Congress in 2028.

“This party has survived worse moments,” he said, stressing that unity after the flagbearer election would be crucial to rebuilding public confidence and positioning the NPP for a return to power…CONTINUE MORE READING>>>

Leave a Reply

Back to top button