He is very uncomfortable in detention and they just want to get him out – Ofori-Atta’s US court case

US-based immigration lawyer Jonelle Ocloo has explained that the January 20, 2026, court appearance of former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta in a United States immigration court was not a deportation or extradition hearing, as widely reported, but a bond redetermination hearing.

Ofori-Atta, who was arrested and detained by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), appeared before the immigration court in proceedings that were streamed online. He remains in detention despite the hearing.

Speaking in an interview on Joy News on January 20, 2026, Ocloo said the nature of the court session had been misunderstood by the public.

According to her, Ofori-Atta’s legal team is seeking his release from detention while the immigration process continues.

“Okay, so first of all, to be clear, I know that you know it was stated that today was his deportation hearing but in fact, that that is not actually so what was happening, today was a redetermination of his bond hearing.

“It is what I got. So essentially, his lawyers had previously requested for him to be released on bond. What his lawyers are trying to do is basically to get him out of detention. He is detained. I’m sure he is very uncomfortable in his current situation and they just want to get him out.

“They want him to be able to, you know, return home for the rest of this process, instead of essentially being, you know, in detention, as you see him there, in his uniform, in the jumpsuit,” she said.

The lawyer further explained that the matter is strictly an immigration issue and does not involve criminal charges or extradition.

“We are not getting into criminal issues or extradition…this is about immigration charges.”

She added that the next major step would be a master calendar hearing, where the US government will formally present the immigration violations being alleged…CONTINUE MORE READING>>>

Leave a Reply

Back to top button