A 26-year-old man burnt to death in Assin Fosu

A 26-year-old man, known as Efutu, was burned to death on Thursday morning in a suspected arson attack in a ghetto at Assin Fosu.

The fire destroyed his wooden structure in the early hours of the day. His charred body was discovered after firefighters and police responded to a distress call from residents around 7:00 a.m.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rosemond Duncan, Assin Fosu District Crime Officer, said the Ghana National Fire Service was called to extinguish the fire, but the structure had already been destroyed when they arrived.

Some residents suspected foul play, claiming a group of mechanics in the area had previously threatened to burn Efutu alive or evict him, accusing him of stealing from their shops.

“It’s no surprise. The fitters warned they would burn him or drive him out. That’s why we believe they intentionally set the place on fire,” one resident said.

Others suggested the fire might have been accidental, noting that Efutu was seen earlier behaving erratically while smoking, raising the possibility that a discarded cigarette could have started the blaze.

After the incident, tensions rose when some youth, believed to be friends of the deceased, confronted the police with sticks and clubs, demanding the immediate arrest of the mechanics.

To prevent further unrest, the District Police requested reinforcement from the Regional Command, the Divisional Police, and the Formed Police Unit (FPU).

ASP Duncan confirmed that Efutu’s body had been taken to the St Francis Xavier Hospital morgue in Assin Fosu, with investigations ongoing to determine the exact cause of the fire…CONTINUE MORE READING>>>

Leave a Reply

Back to top button