General News

Akosombo Dam spillage: Victims returning to occupy their homes – NADMO

The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) says some victims of the flooding incident resulting from the Akosombo dam spillage are moving back into their homes.

This follows the receding of the flood waters and subsequent fumigation of some communities weeks after the spillage.

Earlier, NADMO had explained that the Volta River was showing signs of downward flow and maintaining its course, a situation that is compelling stagnant floodwater which is inundating some communities to recede.

Speaking on the AM Show on JoyNews, Deputy Director General of Technical and Reforms for the organization, Seji Saji Amedonu explained that the destruction caused by the spillage differ from community to community.

He said NADMO is also pumping out the remaining flood water from the various communities.

“We have some structures that were completely covered, some structures that the water was at the base level and some structures that the water was at the window level, some also less than the window or about two feet.

“Those ones have the residents moving back immediately the water depleted.

“When the water receded, some places were completely dried out and those one are the areas that some fumigation were done but there is still pools of water in the Mepe township.

“We are working very hard now and for four or five days we have been pumping the water into a channel that will lead it back into the river.

“So for returning to their homes, quite a lot of people have returned to their homes,” he emphasized.

Meanwhile, the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service (GES) has announced that teaching and learning has resumed in 81 out of 108 schools affected by the Akosombo spillage in nine districts recently.

According to Dr Eric Nkansah, “we are also making good progress working with key stakeholders to restore teaching and learning in the remaining 27 schools within the North Tongu District, which, for the most part, are used as camps and Safe Havens by displaced households”.

“Ultimately, the goal is to ensure that all schools affected by the floods resume teaching and learning activities within the shortest possible time,” he said.

Background

On September 15, the VRA commenced the spilling of excess water due to rising levels of the Akosombo and Kpong Hydro Dams.

Weeks after the spillage started, many residents living along the Lower Volta Basin lost their homes and farms to the floods caused by the spillage.

In all, nine districts were affected by the spillage.

Heart-wrenching tales have emerged from the South, Central, and North Tongu districts of the Volta Region, where the devastation had been very severe.

The once vibrant communities of Battor, Tefle, Mepe, Sogakope, Adidome, and Anlo were all submerged under water.

Over 26,000 people according to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NaDMO) were displaced and rendered homeless.

Some institutions and individuals have since presented relief items to residents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Back to top button
error: Content is protected !!