First Half Report: Real Madrid is falling, players rating
Real Madrid is already down by two goals to nil in the first half of the UEFA Champions League semi-finals second league at the Etihad Sports Stadium England.
Real Madrid’s first-half player ratings
- Courtois: 7 — If Real Madrid are still in the tie, it’s down to him.
- Carvajal: 5 — Grealish is getting in much too easily.
- Militao: 7 — Started the game with great aggression.
- Alaba: 6 — City targeting the space between him and Camavinga relentlessly.
- Camavinga: 5 — Started well but Bernardo has comfortably had the better of him.
- Valverde: 5 — Good positional play, but not impactful in possession.
- Kroos: 6 — Struggled to get a foothold in the game for the first 30 minutes, but proved he can change the game in an instant.
- Modric: 6 — Key to Real’s one chance; the glue of the team.
- Rodrygo: 5 — Needs to do more to provide an option in possession.
- Benzema: 5 — Very isolated and has barely touched the ball.
- Vinicius Jr: 5 — Walker only let him out of his pocket to return to the changing rooms at the break.
Manchester City first-half player ratings
- Ederson: 7 — Did excellently to stay alert and get a finger to Kroos’ long range effort.
- Walker: 7 — Neutralised Vinicius incredibly well.
- Stones: 7 — Playing that transitional role so effectively yet again. So important for the opening goal.
- Dias: 6 — Assured in possession.
- Akanji: 7 — Not threatened defensively but has contributed so well offensively.
- Rodri: 7 — Arguably City’s most important player, so much goes through him.
- Gundogan: 6 — Effective in the midfield.
- De Bruyne: 7 — With Real so narrow defensively, has been drifting wider to good effect making things happen.
- Bernardo: 8 — Started the game fantastically and did not relent.
- Haaland: 6 — Will be disappointed he didn’t make a cleaner connection with Grealish’s delivery to open the scoring.
- Grealish: 7 — Showing why Guardiola trusts him so much, had the better of Carvajal.