Ken Ofori-Atta faces possible extradition to Ghana Today

Former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta is expected to appear before a United States court on Tuesday, January 20, 2026, following actions taken by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement regarding his immigration status.

ICE officials have indicated that Ofori-Atta no longer has lawful status in the United States, a situation that could lead to proceedings for a possible extradition to Ghana.

The Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Dr Dominic Ayine, has dismissed claims that the issue is a routine case of visa overstay.

He said Ofori-Atta’s visitor visa was revoked by US authorities and did not expire naturally.

Ken Ofori-Atta still at Caroline Detention Centre – legal team

Dr Ayine explained in a recent interview that US authorities had previously allowed Ofori-Atta to remain in the country until November 29, 2025, but he did not leave by that date.

“This is not exactly about immigration. His visa has not expired. It expires in February. No, it was revoked. I am telling you this on authority,” Dr Ayine stated.

He further disclosed that the visa revocation is linked to ongoing investigations by the Office of the Special Prosecutor, particularly those connected to the Strategic Mobilisation Limited matter.

“I have been working with the Americans diligently on him. And the visa was revoked. And that is why he lost his immigration status in the United States,” the Attorney-General said.

Ken Ofori-Atta has been charged with corruption and corruption-related offences linked to the Strategic Mobilisation Limited scandal.

The Government of Ghana has formally requested his extradition from the United States to face the charges…CONTINUE MORE READING>>>

Leave a Reply

Back to top button